Winter driving tips
Carry out the necessary preparations and inspections before driving the vehicle in winter. Always drive the vehicle in a manner appropriate to the prevailing weather conditions.
l Use fluids that are appropriate to the prevailing outside temperatures.
Х Engine oil.
Х Engine coolant.
Х Washer fluid.
- Have a service technician inspect the level and specific gravity of battery electrolyte.
- Have the vehicle fitted with four snow tires or purchase a set of tire chains for the front tires.
Ensure that all tires are the same size and brand, and that chains match the size of the tires.
- Tire inflation pressure falls in winter as the outside temperature falls. Add 2.9 to 4.3 psi (20 to 30 kPa, 0.2 to 0.3 kgf/cm2 or bar) to the standard tire inflation pressure.
Before driving the vehicle
Perform the following according to the driving conditions.
- Do not try to forcibly open a window or move a wiper that is frozen.
Pour warm water over the frozen area to melt the ice. Wipe away the water immediately to prevent it from freezing.
- To ensure proper operation of the climate control system fan, remove any snow that has accumulated on the air inlet vents in front of the windshield.
- Remove any ice that has accumulated on the vehicle chassis.
- Periodically check for and remove any excess ice or snow that may have accumulated in the wheel well or on the brakes.
When driving the vehicle
Accelerate the vehicle slowly and drive at a reduced speed suitable to road conditions.
When parking the vehicle
Park the vehicle and move the shift lever to P without setting the parking brake. The parking brake may freeze up, preventing it from being released. If necessary, block the wheels to prevent inadvertent sliding or creeping.
Selecting snow chains
Use the correct snow chain size when mounting the snow chains. Chain size is regulated for each tire sizes.
1. 0.12 in. [3 mm] in diameter.
2. 1.18 in. [30 mm] in length.
3. 0.39 in. [10 mm] in width.
4. 0.16 in. [4 mm] in diameter.
5. 0.98 in. [25 mm] in length.
6. 0.55 in. [14 mm] in width.
Regulations on the use of snow chains
Regulations regarding the use of tire chains vary according to location and type of road. Always check local regulations before installing chains.
- Install the chains on the front tires.
- Retighten the chains after driving 1/4 - 1/2 mile (0.5 - 1.0 km).
Shifting the windshield wiper position
You can shift the wipers to the rest position manually. (In heavy snow or
icy condition etc.)
Grip the hook section of the wiper arm firmly when shifting the wiper position.
To rest position
Raise the wiper in line with the windshield.
You can stand the wipers up for the rest position.
*: More than 3.9 in. (10 cm)
To retract position
Lower the wipers by pressing on the upper part of the hook section.
Snow chain installation
Observe the following precautions when installing and removing chains.
- Install and remove tire chains in a safe location.
- Install tire chains on the front tires only. Do not install tire chains on rear tires.
- Install the tire chains on front tires as tightly as possible. Retighten
driving 1/4 - 1/2 mile (0.5 - 1.0 km).
- Install tire chains following the instructions provided in the accompanying instructions.
Driving with snow tires
Observe the following precautions to reduce the risk of accidents.
Failing to do so may result in a loss of vehicle control and cause death or
- Use tires of the size specified for your vehicle.
- Maintain the recommended level of air pressure.
- Do not drive in excess of 75 mph (120 km/h), regardless of the type of snow
- Use snow tires on all, not just some wheels.
Driving with snow chains Observe the following precautions to reduce the risk of accidents.
Failing to do so may result in the vehicle being unable to be driven safely, and
cause death or serious injury.
- Do not drive in excess of the speed limit specified for the tire chains being
or 30 mph (50 km/h), whichever is lower.
- Avoid driving on bumpy road surfaces or over potholes.
- Avoid sudden turns and braking, as use of chains may adversely affect vehicle handling.
- Slow down sufficiently before entering a curve to ensure that vehicle control
Repairing or replacing snow tires Request repairs of and obtain replacement snow tires from Lexus dealers or legitimate
This is because the removal and attachment of snow tires affects the operation
the tire pressure warning valves and transmitters.
Fitting tire chains
The tire pressure warning valves and transmitters may not function correctly when
tire chains are fitted.
Thrust vs. Thrift
Thanks to the drivetrain's immediate thrust, the CT 200h has adequate oomph for driving solo: It scoots from a stoplight well enough and maintains highway speeds with little trouble. But it lacks ...
Maintenance data (fuel, oil level, etc.)
Dimensions and weight *1: Unladen vehicles. *2: Vehicles without roof antenna and roof rails. *3: Vehicles with roof antenna but without electronically modulated air suspension. *4: Vehicles w ...
Anti-glare inside rear view mirror
In automatic mode, sensors are used to detect the headlights of vehicles behind and the reflected light is automatically reduced. Turns automatic mode on/off The indicator comes on when automati ...