If the vehicle battery is discharged
The following procedures may be used to start the engine if the vehicle’s battery is discharged.
You can call your Lexus dealer or qualified repair shop.
If you have a set of jumper (or booster) cables and a second vehicle with a 12-volt battery, you can jump start your Lexus following the steps below.
Remove the cover.
Connecting the jumper cables.
1. Positive (+) battery terminal on your vehicle.
2. Positive (+) battery terminal on the second vehicle.
3. Negative (-) battery terminal on the second vehicle.
4. Connect the jumper cable to ground on your vehicle as shown in the illustration.
Start the engine of the second vehicle. Increase the engine speed slightly and maintain at that level for approximately 5 minutes to recharge the battery of your vehicle.
Open and close any of the doors with the “ENGINE START STOP” switch OFF.
Maintain the engine speed on the second vehicle and turn the “ENGINE START STOP” switch to the IGNITION ON mode, then start the vehicle’s engine.
Once the vehicle’s engine has started, remove the jumper cables in the exact reverse order in which they were connected.
Once the engine starts, have the vehicle checked at your Lexus dealer as soon as possible.
Starting the engine when the battery is discharged
The engine cannot be started by push-starting.
Avoiding a discharged battery
Turn off the headlights and the audio system while the engine is turned off.
- Turn off any unnecessary electrical components when the vehicle is running at
low speed for an extended period, such as in heavy traffic, etc.
Avoiding battery fires or explosions Observe the following precautions to prevent accidentally igniting the flammable gas that may be emitted from the battery.
- Make sure the jumper cable is connected to the correct terminal and that it is
unintentionally in contact with any part other than the intended terminal.
- Do not allow the jumper cables to come into contact with the “+” and “-” terminals.
- Do not allow open flame or use matches, cigarette lighters or smoke near the battery.
The battery contains poisonous and corrosive acidic electrolyte, while related parts
contain lead and lead compounds. Observe the following precautions when handling the battery.
- When working with the battery, always wear safety glasses and take care not to
allow any battery fluids (acid) to come into contact with skin, clothing or the
- Do not lean over the battery.
- In the event that battery fluid comes into contact with the skin or eyes,
wash the affected area with water and seek medical attention.
Place a wet sponge or cloth over the affected area until medical attention can
- Always wash your hands after handling the battery support, terminals, and
- Do not allow children near the battery.
When handling jumper cables Be careful that the jumper cables do not become tangled in the cooling fan or any
of the belts when connecting or disconnecting them.
2007 Lexus LS 460L
The Lexus LS 460L is the best car we've seen. We can't put it any more bluntly than that. It checks off all the tech boxes, then goes and adds some new ones. The company's flagship sedan is a geni ...
The 2010 Lexus GX 460 provides the luxury appointments and workmanship of a Lexus sedan. Reduced drivetrain noise, especially in the 3,000-4,000 rpm range, combined with new sound insulating, damp ...
If you lose your keys
New genuine Lexus keys can be made by your Lexus dealer using the other key and the key number stamped on your key number plate. ...