Make sure that all occupants are wearing their seat belts before driving
Correct use of the seat belts
l Extend the shoulder belt so that it comes fully over the shoulder, but does not come into contact with the neck or slide off the shoulder.
- Position the lap belt as low as possible over the hips.
- Adjust the position of the seatback. Sit up straight and well back in the seat.
- Do not twist the seat belt.
Fastening and releasing the seat belt
1. Fastening the belt.
Push the tab into the buckle until a clicking sound is heard.
2. Releasing the belt.
Press the release button.
Adjusting the height of the belt (front seats)
Move the height adjuster up and down as needed until you hear a click.
Seat belt comfort guide (outside rear seats)
If the shoulder belt sits close to a person’s neck, slide the seat belt comfort guide forward.
Seat belt pretensioners (front and outside rear seats)
The pretensioner helps the seat belt to quickly restrain the occupant by retracting the seat belt when the vehicle is subjected to certain types of severe frontal collision.
The pretensioner may not activate in the event of a minor frontal impact, a side impact or a rear impact.
Pre-collision seat belts (front seats of vehicles with pre-collision system)
If the pre-collision sensor detects that a collision is unavoidable, the
system will retract the seat belt, thus enhancing the effectiveness of the seat belt pretensioner in a crash.
The same will happen if the driver makes an emergency braking or loses control of the vehicle.
Emergency locking retractor (ELR)
The retractor will lock the belt during a sudden stop or on impact. It may
also lock if
you lean forward too quickly. A slow, easy motion will allow the belt to extend so that
you can move around fully.
Automatic locking retractor (ALR)
When a passenger's shoulder belt is completely extended and then retracted
slightly, the belt is locked in that position and cannot be extended. This feature is
used to hold the child restraint system (CRS) firmly. To free the belt again, fully
retract the belt and then pull the belt out once more.
Obtain medical advice and wear the seat belt
in the proper way.
Women who are pregnant should position the lap belt as low as possible over the hips in the same manner as other occupants. Extend the shoulder belt completely over the shoulder and position the belt across the chest.
Avoid belt contact over the rounding of the abdominal area.
If the seat belt is not worn properly, not only a pregnant woman, but also the fetus could suffer death or serious injury as a result of sudden braking or a collision.
People suffering illness
Obtain medical advice and wear the seat belt in the proper way.
Child seat belt usage
The seat belts of your vehicle were principally designed for persons of adult size.
- Use a child restraint system appropriate for the child, until the child
large enough to properly wear the vehicle's seat belt. - When the child becomes large enough to properly wear the vehicle's seat belt, follow the instructions on P. 58 regarding seat belt usage.
Replacing the belt after the pretensioner has been activated
If the vehicle is involved in multiple collisions, the pretensioner will
activate for the
first collision, but will not activate for the second or subsequent collisions.
Seat belt extender
If your seat belts cannot be fastened securely because they are not long enough, a personalized seat belt extender is available from your Lexus dealer free of charge.
Observe the following precautions to reduce the risk of injury in the event of sudden
braking, sudden swerving or an accident.
Failing to do so may cause death or severe injury.
Wearing a seat belt
- Ensure that all passengers wear a seat belt.
- Always wear a seat belt properly.
- Each seat belt should be used by one person only. Do not use a seat belt for
than one person at once, including children.
- Lexus recommends that children be seated in the rear seat and always use a
belt and/or an appropriate child restraint system.
- Do not recline the seat any more than necessary to achieve a proper seating position. The seat belt is most effective when the occupants are sitting up straight
and well back in the seats.
- Do not wear the shoulder belt under your arm.
- Always wear your seat belt low and snug across your hips.
Adjustable shoulder anchor Always make sure the shoulder belt is positioned across the center of your shoulder.
The belt should be kept away from your neck, but not falling off your shoulder.
Failure to do so could reduce the amount of protection in an accident and cause death or serious injuries in the event of a sudden stop, sudden swerve or accident.
Seat belt pretensioners
- Do not place anything, such as a cushion, on the front passenger's seat. Doing so
will disperse the passenger's weight, which prevents the sensor from detecting the passenger's weight properly. As a result, the seat belt pretensioner for the front passenger's seat may not activate in the event of a collision.
- If the pretensioner has activated, the SRS warning light will come on. In that
the seat belt cannot be used again and must be replaced at your Lexus dealer.
Child restraint lock function belt precaution
Do not allow children to play with the child restraint lock function belt. If
becomes twisted around a child’s neck, it will not be possible to pull the belt out
leading to choking or other serious injuries that could result in death. If this occurs
and the buckle cannot be unfastened, scissors should be used to cut the belt.
Seat belt damage and wear - Do not damage the seat belts by allowing the belt, plate, or buckle to be jammed
in the door.
- Inspect the seat belt system periodically. Check for cuts, fraying, and loose parts.
Do not use a damaged seat belt until it is replaced. Damaged seat belts cannot protect an occupant from death or serious injury.
- Ensure that the belt and tab are locked and the belt is not twisted.
If the seat belt does not function correctly, immediately contact your Lexus dealer.
- Replace the seat assembly, including the belts, if your vehicle has been
a serious accident, even if there's no obvious damage.
- Do not attempt to install, remove, modify, disassemble or dispose of the seat belts.
Have any necessary repairs carried out by your Lexus dealer. Inappropriate
of the pretensioner may prevent it from operating properly resulting in death or serious injury.
Using a seat belt extender - Do not wear the seat belt extender if you can fasten the seat belt without the extender.
- Do not use the seat belt extender when installing a child restraint system
the belt will not securely hold the child restraint system, increasing the risk of
death or serious injury in the event of an accident.
- The personalized extender may not be safe on another vehicle, when used by another person, or at a different seating position other than the one originally intended.
When using a seat belt extender When releasing the seat belt, press on the buckle release button on the extender,
not on the seat belt.
This helps prevent damage to the vehicle interior and the extender itself.
If a warning light turns on or a warning buzzer sounds...
Calmly perform the following actions if any of the warning lights comes on or flashes. If a light comes on or flashes, but then goes off, this does not necessarily indicate a malfunction in the sy ...
If the vehicle becomes stuck
Carry out the following procedures if the tires spin or the vehicle becomes stuck in mud, dirt, or snow. Stop the engine. Set the parking brake and put the shift lever in P. - Remove the mud, sno ...
- Front Turns the light on/off. - Rear Turns the light on/off. Illuminated entry system The lights automatically turn on/off according to “POWER” switch mo ...